THE HOTEL
ROOM TARIFF
RESTAURANT AMENITIES GETTING HERE
         
 
  His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

McLeod Ganj is the headquarters of the Tibetan Government in Exile and is the home of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, who's lineage has ruled Tibet since the 16th century. In 1959, the Dalai Lama fled Tibet and was granted political asylum in India. In 1989, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

The Dalai Lama holds both private and public audiences as well as gives annual public teachings in March. Hotel Shil Plaza in coveniently located within 100m of His Holiness' residence and Temple Complex.
 
         
 
  Tsuglagkhang Temple

This temple is the equivalent of the Jokhang Temple in Lhasa, Tibet, and is the most important Buddhist monument in McLeod Ganj. It enshrines three magnificent images, including an enormous 3m-high gilt statue of Sakyamuni Buddha. Facing Tibet are statues of Avalokitesvara, the Tibetan deity of compassion, of whom the Dalai Lama is considered an incarnation, and Padmasambhava, the Indian scholar who introduced Buddhism to Tibet.
 
         
    Tibetan Institute of Performing Arts

Promotes the study and performance of Tibetan performing arts to ensure the preservation of Tibet's traditional cultural heritage. The most important of the arts taught and practised at the institute is traditional lhamo (Tibetan opera).
 
         
    Library of Tibetan Works & Archives

The Library is the repository of Tibet's rich literary heritage. It contains about 40% of Tibet's original manuscripts, as well as an excellent general reference library, and is open to all.

There is also a Tibetan Cultural Museum on the 1st floor, with some excellent exhibits including fine statues, rare Tibetan stamps and a medal from the Younghusband mission to Lhasa.
 
         
    Tibetan Medical & Astrological Institute

The institute has a museum, library, research unit and a college at which Tibetan medicine and astrology is taught. The museum has a well displayed exhibition of materials used in Tibetan medicines.
 
         
 
  St. John in the Wilderness

Dharamsala was originally a British hill resort. St. John in the Wilderness is an Anglican church dedicated to Saint John built in 1852, located near Dharamsala, on the way to McLeod Ganj, at Forsyth Gunj. Set amidst deodar forest, and built in neo-Gothic architecture, the church is known for its Belgian stained-glass windows donated by Lady Elgin (Mary Louisa Lambton), wife of Lord Elgin.
 
         
 
  Bhagsu

Located one km from McLeod Ganj is an ancient Hindu temple dedicated to Bhagsu Nag, the snake god, and to Lord Shiva, built by the Raja of Kangra in the 16th century. A freshwater spring, in which pilgrims to take a holy dip flows through the temple. A beautiful waterfall, well worth visiting, is located about a 20-minute walk from the temptle. The Bhagsu temple is located in the picturesque Bhagsu village, a Gaddi tribal village whose traditional livelihood was herding and farming.